Monday, June 30, 2014

The House We Live In

Nothing very exiting happened today: I went to class, came home to have lunch, then went to the beach! The first class of the morning is with the teacher from America, who we call DZ. So far we've read the play Bodas de Sangre (Blood Wedding) by Federico Garcia Lorca, which is about an angsty bride whose antics cause her two lovers to kill each other. The second class is longer, and we learn about Spanish culture and geography. We've gone over all the major cities in the comunidades that make up Spain, and some things making up their culture. Speaking of culture, Alicante has really calmed down since the Hogueras of San Juan have ended! No more music until five in the morning, and there seem to be about half the number of people. It's still interesting how many shops are closed from 2 to 5 in the afternoon for siesta, and most people start dinner as late as 10:30 or 11. Writing this at midnight I can still hear people sitting outside at the cafes down the street. Since I haven't taken any pictures today, I'm going to include some pictures of the house I've been living in! Note: mi madre espanola, Carmen, does have a bedroom. I just didn't take a picture of it!

 This is my room, while Lindsey was taking a nap :) The window opens up to the street.
 This is the bathroom, which is a quick right when I leave the door to my room. Yes that is a bidet. We wash our feet in it.
 This is Lindsey's room. It's a lot smaller than mine but it does have the nice perk of an air conditioning unit.


This is the living room, which does have a nice-sized television, but nobody ever really watches it.

This is the terrace outside the kitchen window. Sometimes we eat breakfast here and it has a clothesline. Carmen reads out here quite often.
This is the view of the kitchen from the doorway. There's a fridge to the left out of the picture, and a window opening to the sunroom to the right of the table. We eat most of our meals here; my chair is the one farthest on the right.










This is a just a sign on the wall of the hostel in Valencia. I thought it was funny and makes me feel better when the locals have zero patience with my baby Spanish :)

No comments:

Post a Comment